Severe Thunderstorm Warning - Southeast Queensland for DAMAGING WINDS, LARGE HAILSTONES and HEAVY RAINFALL
For people in parts of Somerset, Scenic Rim, Southern Downs, Western Downs, South Burnett, Toowoomba and Lockyer Valley Council Areas.
Issued at 2:49 pm Monday, 18 January 2021.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 2:45 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near the area northeast of Dalby, Oakington, Moogerah and the area south of Cunninghams Gap. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to southeast. They are forecast to affect Crows Nest, Killarney, Mount Barney, Maroon Dam, Hampton and the area east of Dalby by 3:15 pm and the area southwest of Esk, Border Ranges National Park, Rathdowney, Cooyar and the area north of Crows Nest by 3:45 pm.
Damaging winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 3:50 pm.
(Photo: Bureau of Meteorology. Supplied.)