A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for parts of Ipswich, Gympie, Somerset, Scenic Rim, Southern Downs, Western Downs, South Burnett, Lockyer Valley and the Sunshine Coast.
At 3.30pm, the Bureau of Meteorology warns severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near the area west of Conondale.
These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to northeast.
They are forecast to affect Laidley, Kenilworth and the ranges north of Jandowae by 4:00 pm and Rosevale, Hatton Vale and the area northwest of Cunninghams Gap by 4:30 pm.
Damaging winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
Image: Bureau of Meteorology