HEY BIG SPENDERS - WHERE AND HOW OVERSEAS TOURISTS ARE SPENDING THEIR MONEY IN AUSTRALIA
* In 2017 8.1 million overseas tourists spent $41.3 billion - a six per cent increase on 2016.
* Tasmania recorded a 31 per cent growth in spend - the best of any Australian state or territory.
* Western Australia was the only state or territory to witness a decline in spending, with the total down by five per cent to $2.3 billion.
* Visitors from China spent $10.4 billion - up 14 per cent on last year.
* US tourists spent $3.8 billion, a figure boosted by Tourism Australia's "Dundee" campaign.
WHERE THEY WENT
* 842,000 visitors toured the Great Barrier Reef
* 3m visited the Sydney Opera House
* 2.7m visited the Sydney Harbour Bridge
* 990,000 drove the Great Ocean Road
* 192,000 visited Uluru
(Source: International Visitor Survey, Tourism Research Australia)
© AAP 2018